I have a new favorite chili recipe. The Shredded Beef and Black Bean Chili recipe is bold, rich, and filling in the best kind of way.
I’ve got a secret – every year, my church has a chili cook-off where they award the best chili in the church. And every year, I’ve been robbed. Someone always makes a white chicken chili (which isn’t even really chili in my opinion) that wins. And I get it, they taste all these chili recipes and then get to the white chili and think “oooh, this one is different. I like it!” And that’s the one they remember come voting time.
Well not this year! This one is gonna win, I just know it!
No hamburger. This is upgraded to shredded sirloin. It’s so thick and rich, and not very “tomatoey”. Trust me, this is just what those judges have been looking for… er… I mean what YOU have been looking for.
That’s right. You don’t have to use ground beef in chili. This big cut of top sirloin will work great. And since we will be putting this in the slow cooker, we don’t have to cut this up ahead if time.
To start, I like to give the meat a really good sear using Extra Virgin Olive Oil. To make this dish, I used OMAGGIO Limited Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil.
But as good as it is to sear the meat, it’s even better to use the combination of the Extra Virgin Olive Oil and the juices from the meat to cook the vegetables. Add a bit of salt to the peppers and onions to get them to soften up more quickly. I also add a little bit more oil at this step.
After cooking the peppers and onions for about 5 or 10 minutes, add the pressed garlic and cook for another couple minutes.
Then, simply transfer the meat and the vegetables to the slow cooker. Top with all the other ingredients and turn it on low for 8 hours and let it cook.
After that, the meat should shred apart very easily.
This can be served with any number of things… corn bread, italian bread, over white rice, with tortilla chips, or just by itself.
And if you like this one, you might be interested in 40 other slow cooker dump recipes that are AMAZING!
Shredded Beef and Black Bean Chili
- 1.5 lb top sirloin steak or any kind of steak, really
- 3 Tbsp OMAGGIO® Limited Reserve Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1/2 green pepper chopped
- 1 1/2 - 2 cans black beans 15 oz each, rinsed
- 2 1/2 cups water + 2 beef bouillon cubes or 2 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 6 oz. can tomato paste
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 3 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp parsley
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Pour 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil onto a hot pan over medium heat.
- Sear steak for about 2 minutes per side and remove from pan.
- Add 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil to the pan, and add the peppers and onions.
- Cook for 5-10 minutes or until soft.
- Add garlic and cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Transfer steak and vegetables to the the slow cooker.
- Add all other ingredients and cook for 8 hours on low.
- Shred steak and serve.
Have you grabbed my Chaos to Control Starter Guide, yet? I might be biased but I think its pretty amazing! Check it out!