I can’t quite say enough about this Lemon Chicken Thigh dish. I put it together and I knew it would be pretty good… but it was quite a bit more than that. It was absolutely fantastic.
To start with, I’m always a fan of chicken thighs in the slow cooker. In addition to being super cheap, they just work better than white meat. They stay moist and super tender. So that’s why I chose thighs to use in this dish.
To get that lemony flavor, it doesn’t take much. Just squeeze the juice of 1 lemon in the slow cooker with the other ingredients. It’s the perfect amount of lemon flavor without being overly tart. The basil and thyme work really well in here too.
By the way – do you have my FREE slow cooker meal plan yet? Grab it right below:
But it just wouldn’t be as fantastic as it is without the cream sauce. And this step needs to be completed at the end using a mix of cornstarch and half and half. I served this over rice and it worked so perfectly. The rice soaked up the extra sauce in the most yummy way.
Have you grabbed my Chaos to Control Starter Guide, yet? I might be biased but I think its pretty amazing! Check it out!
Lemon Chicken Awesome
- 6 skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 onion finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp minced garlic
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- Juice from one lemon or 2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp basil
- 1/2 tsp thyme
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup half and half
- Place chicken in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with onions, garlic, spices, lemon juice, and 3/4 cup water.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (of medium for 6 hours, low for 8 hours).
- In a small sauce pan, whisk the cornstarch in with 1/4 cup water and the half and half.
- Heat on medium, whisking often.
- Once it's thick and bubbly, add it to the liquid in the slow cooker and mix in well.
- Close the lid and let it cook for an additional 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice or pasta.