It was time to clean my washing machine because it was starting to have that funky smell….you know the one! I have tried a few washing machine cleaners out there, and nothing has taken away the smell. I do at least 1-2 loads of laundry every day, and I think my laundry breeds overnight because I can never get caught up with it.
So I thought I would try to wash it with items that I already had around my house. Washing machine cleaners can be very expensive, but with items that you already have in your pantry or stockpile, you can do it for FREE!
Here is how to clean a washing machine:
- I filled up my washing machine with hot water, then poured in 1 cup of white vinegar and let it sit for about an hour and a half.
- Then I re-started the washing machine like I normally would, and let it run through the entire cycle.
- I took a sponge and used the scrubby side to scrub off all the stuck on gunk.
- I then filled it up again with hot water and filled it with bleach (about 2 cups). I let it sit for another hour and a half.
- While it was soaking I took a rag and washed the inside and outside of the washing machine. (make sure you have gloves on for this part)
- I re-started the washing machine again like I normally would, and let it run through the entire cycle.
Voila – a clean and fabulous smelling washing machine!
Have you grabbed my Chaos to Control Starter Guide, yet? I might be biased but I think it’s pretty amazing! Check it out!