Oh man, you are in for a treat with this Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken! As usually, this is a set it and forget it type recipe, with just a few small steps at the end.
I tried to make this dish taste like the Fiesta Lime Chicken that they have at Applebee’s, but I wanted it to be super easy, and also a little bit healthier. So even though there is a cream sauce, it’s made with just 1/2 cup of half and half plus 1 Tbsp of butter for the entire dish, which serves at least 4 people.
But just that little bit of creaminess goes so well with the tangy but acidic lime juice.
When you’re preparing your chicken, make sure to butterfly them lengthwise – no one likes a giant super thick piece of chicken, right? Trust me, you want a high ratio of yummy sauce per each bit of chicken.
Serve it with a nice green vegetable, and maybe some rice. Yeah, rice would soak up that sauce really well.
And if you like this one, you might be interested in 40 other slow cooker dump recipes that are AMAZING!
Slow Cooker Cilantro Lime Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts butterflied in half
- 1/4 of an onion minced
- 1 lime
- 1 chicken bouillon cube
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro or 1 tsp dried cilantro
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- a pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup half and half
- 1 Tbsp butter
- 1 Tbsp corn starch
- Place the onions in the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Top with chicken.
- Top the chicken with all other ingredients except the half and half and corn starch.
- Cut the lime in half and juice one of the halves into the slow cooker. It should be about 1 Tbsp of lime juice.
- Cook on high for 4 hours (or medium for 6, low for 8)
- Remove chicken from the slow cooker and cover to keep warm.
- In a small sauce pan, whisk together the corn starch and half and half.
- Heat over medium heat, whisking often until it bubbles and thickens, and then add in the butter and whisk it in as it melts.
- Add the thickened half and half to the liquid in the slow cooker and blend well.
- Close the lid and let the sauce cook for 5 minutes.
- Serve chicken. Top with sauce and garnish with additional cilantro and lime wedges from the other half of a lime.
Have you grabbed my Chaos to Control Starter Guide, yet? I might be biased but I think it’s pretty amazing! Check it out!